Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tj Lavin You Cut BMX updates

Don’t let the incredibly long name of this show turn you off: “The Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Fresh Meat II,” airing Wednesdays at 10 p.m., is the perfect union of two long-running MTV series. The challenge provides the naval-gazing (and fabulous real estate) of “The Real World” with the globe-trotting and physical challenges of “Road Rules.” Up for grabs is a cash prize of $300,000 for the last team standing.




This 19th season (!) repeats the theme of the 12th, which introduced participants new to either show (hence, the “fresh meat.”) The show’s physical feats and emotional intrigue (there are lots of alliances and dalliances in the house) take place in Vancouver, Canada, and the man in charge is T.J. Lavin, the BMX rider, who explains each week’s task and directs the deliberations that decide each team’s fate. We caught up with him for a short Q & A , with him answering from his home in Las Vegas.



Q: How do you spend your time when you’re not introducing a challenge?



A: I hang out with different people from the crew. We’ll have poker games or go surfing. Whatever country, we’ll find something to do. I’ll work out, ride bikes. Sometimes the location isn’t really good for that so I get a little out of shape.

Q: Is there a lot of downtime in between tasks?



A: We’ll shoot the challenge in the morning and it might take four, five hours. Sometimes it might take 17 hours because of a malfunction. The challenge producers and segment producers work really hard to make it perfect. Location and weather is a big factor. Four-to-five hours, maybe, if it all goes perfect. Then there’s deliberation, an hour to get lunch, and get their answer to deliberation. The elimination round sometimes happens the next day.



Q: Does taping mean being away from home for long?



A: Five weeks. But it’s so fun and everyone who I work with are my friends now. We became pretty close. It’s like being on a work trip with your friends. Also, I’ve done a lot of touring with BMX and done a lot of dangerous things. Now I’m in flip flops and board shorts.



Q: Have you ever tried any of the physical challenges?



A: There was one in South Africa: the trampoline challenge. Six platforms and trampolines in between. I’m not allowed to try things, so I drove as fast I could to the challenge site. I beat the big bosses. They got there and yelled at me. Every once in a while, if it’s real safe, I’ll give it a go. But it would be irresponsible of me to try more. There are 65 to 70 people depending on me. If I get hurt, it’s a big waste.



Q: Do you ever find yourself rooting for anyone?



A: A little bit. Being an athlete, you can’t help it. I try to picture them as athletes, even though sometimes they don’t act like it. I feel really bad for people sometimes. If they never win, I really hope for them to win. My compassion level is too deep for this show. I root for the underdog. If everyone is ganging up on someone in the house, I like to see them do well in the challenges.



Q: Is there a lot of fraternizing with the cast?



A: Not at all. I never go to the house or do anything crazy like that. I’m off doing whatever I’m doing. I see them only at the challenges or the elimination rounds. As for partying with them, that’s the number one question people ask me. I don’t drink alcohol anyway.



Q: Is there something you always travel with?



A: I have a MacBook Pro. I use that a lot. For pretty remote locations, I have to watch CNN on the laptop. I also travel with a little blue overnight bag. It’s been with me everywhere I’ve ever went in my whole entire life — 30 something countries and all the United States. The thing is so haggard. It’s funny.



Q: Which of the challenge locales has been your favorite?



A: Queenstown, New Zealand, is the most beautiful place I’ve ever been. I would love to spend six months a year there, if things worked out in America. New Zealand doesn’t have frivolous lawsuits. Everyone is on their own. You can go bungee jump and there are amazing BMX and mountain bike trails. It’s an incredible place. The scenery was just majestic. I wouldn’t mind waking up to that everyday. I’m not too big a winter guy, but that place is just incredible. I’d spend winters in Vegas.

 


Interview has been condensed and edited.


rom time Magazine, here come for more


0 comments:

Post a Comment