Monday, October 18, 2010

princess leia updates

Like having it . fond memories of terrorizing his sister having a "lightsaber" made out of PVC pipe, Hopefully to my affection for Transformers to my children.

Yet when my first child celebrated her first birthday last month, I resisted the impulse to embellish the dessert with Ewoks, Jawas or maybe the decapitated head of Jango Fett.

Instead, we went with my wife's idea: "ladybugs."

Fair enough. My daughter provides a book about ladybugs that she'll stare at for the full just a few seconds before inserting it in her mouth - the child equal of research.

Halloween can be an entirely different occasion, though.

It is the one day of the year reserved for indulging your inner geek - or, if you're 29 inches tall and can't argue, your father's inner geek.

All of which is to say that I've spent the past few weeks in search of the perfect Star Wars costume for someone who will likely resent me for it later.

Yoda is an option. The Jedi master is tiny, after all. He also often speaks like someone who's just beginning to grasp the concept of language.

Princess Leia, however, is my top choice - and not just because she would give me an excuse to dress up as Darth Vader (spoiler: Leia is Vader's daughter!).

Leia is also a positive female role model: tough, smart and capable of fending off the advances of "bad boys" who keep giant, vicious dogs as pets - at least until the sequel, when she warms to both Han Solo and Chewbacca.

My wife, who doesn't know Return of the Jedi from Revenge of the Sith, objects.

She points out that I don't even like the most recent movies. (That's true, but Star Wars fans are nothing if not dedicated masochists).

And, yes, the Leia "hair buns" we've seen are cute, but they're also hot, bulky and possibly the inciting factor in a life spent collecting closets of merchandise and attending fan conventions.


0 comments:

Post a Comment